The Official Travel Guide for Northwest Iceland


Towns & Villages



Picture gallery



Museums & Exhibitions



Historical places



Natural beauty



Churches



Handcraft



Hydroelectric Powerstation



Churches in Northwest Iceland



Churches in Skagafjordur Click here to see Churches in Hunavatnssyslur

┴bŠjar church, in Austurdalur is a little concrete church designed by Gu­jˇn Sam˙lelsson and built in 1921. However the farm at ┴bŠr was deserted in 1941. Mass is held in the church on the first Sunday of every August which is a Bank Holiday weekend. Various folktales are connected to the site and there are also many well-known ghost stories about the ghost ┴bŠjarskotta.

The Oratory at Gr÷f in SlettuhlÝ­ is owned by the Icelandic National Museum. The current building was built in the 17th century. It was deconsecrated in 1765 but after much repair was consecrated again in 1953. Mrs. Ragnhei­ur Jˇnsdˇttir the widow of Bishop GÝsli ١rlßksson lived for a long time at Gr÷f. Her picture is on the Icelandic 5,000 Kr. banknote. The building is amongst one of the smallest houses of god in Icelandic Christendom. Despite its size it is an architectural showpiece that has an aesthetic value even though its time has past.

Fell in SlÚttuhlÝ­ was a vicarage until 1981 but then the vicarage was moved to H÷f­i in H÷f­astr÷nd. The current church was built in 1881 and it hosts an altarpiece painted by Anker Lund in 1920. Fell is otherwise known for priests who lived there centuries ago and were known for witchcraft. The most well known of whom was the Reverend Hßlfdan Narfason, the folktales about him tell that he was educated in Svartaskˇla (Blackschool).

GlaumbŠjar Churchat Langholt was consecrated in 1926 and serves as a vicarage. The altarpiece is by Zeuthen and was made in 1897 and shows Christ amongst his apostles.

Go­dalir in Vesturdalur is a church site and used to be a vicarage. The current church was erected in 1904. This church contains an altarpiece painted on wood and its centerpiece shows the Last Supper. An alter cloth from the year 1763 is stored in the church and a chalice and patina made of silver of which the age is unknown but are considered to be relics. Go­dalir is an ancient manor and in earlier times the name was used to indicate the whole region of the valleys of Skagafj÷r­ur

Hofsˇs Church The church at Hofsˇs was consecrated on the 28th of August 1960 and can seat 164 people. The architect Sveinn Kjarval drew the chandelier/lighting. The beautiful baptismal font in the church was carved from basalt columns taken from basalt formations at Sta­arbjargvÝk at Hofsˇs.

Hˇlar cathedral was completed in 1763. Its construction is simple and majestic in the late baroque style. It is built of red sandstone from Hˇlabyr­a which is the mountain overlooking the site. It stores preserved relics since the catholic era i.e.: altarpiece of Jˇn Arason from about the year 1530, an alabaster armrest from Nottingham in England from about 1470 and gravestones of bishops, a crucifix, a full sized catholic likeness of Christ and an original edition of Gu­brands bible from 1584.

Knappasta­a Church is in Fljˇt. It is considered to be the oldest timber church in the Iceland but it was consecrated in 1840 after an older church collapsed in an earthquake on the eve of the 12th of June 1838. You can find in the church a pulpit dating from 1704 and a quality altarpiece made of wood, which depicts the Last Supper. The painting overlooking the alter is painted on wood and depicts Christ the King and is obviously old. This picture used to hang by the pulpit.

Sau­ßrkrˇkur Church was built in 1892 and was consecrated on the 18th of December of the same year and can seat 350 people. The tower was rebuilt during 1957-1958 and the main door was enlarged on both sides of the tower. On its 100 year anniversary the church was renovated and three meters were added to the western end of the church. Construction began on the 15th of August 1989 and the church was reconsecrated on the 9th of December 1990. The altarpiece at the church depicts the journey to Emmaus and was made by the painter Anker Lund from Denmark.

Vi­imřrar Church was built in 1834 of driftwood with turf walls and a turf roof. The panelling is in a wooden frame. After the 19th century most Icelandic churches were of this construction. This church is one of the best examples of old Icelandic architecture. The church is a protected building and is owned by the Icelandic National Museum. At the same time it serves as a parish church and services are held there.



Go back



Hvammstangi Blonduos Skagastrond Saudarkrokur Varmahlid Holar Hofsos

Our good neighbors: Strandir